Hello, hello! It’s mid week and right smack dab in the middle of the Olympics. Turns out that Michael Phelps isn’t the only one decorated w/ medals
The 7 x 7 Award highlights a blogger’s favourite pieces of work and is passed on to others so that they too can do the same as a way to promote posts and/or blogs.
As is the case with such awards, there are certain rules;
1.Tell everyone something that no one else knows about you.
Hmmm, let’s see. Well, most of you already know I’m from Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, but even some of my friends don’t know that I actually spent time in a Catholic boarding school from the age of 7 – 12. It’s a bit unusual for folks in my country and no, it’s not exactly the kind of elite boarding school like Hogwarts or Eton College, yeah I wish! It was a bittersweet experience to be sure, and though at the time I hated being there, now I’m thankful for the experience and I do believe it shaped me to be the person that I am today.
2. Link to one of the posts that I think best fits the following categories;
a. Most Beautiful Piece.
I LOVE rain scenes, and so my top ten list of Ten Indelible Rain/Wet Scenes is full of beautiful, atmospheric scenes
b. Most Helpful Piece.
Well, I hope this is helpful to some people, but I’d like to think that this Gregory Peck birthday blog-a-thon of sort is helpful for those who aren’t well-versed about the variety of films he has done [about 50+ plus total!]. Thanks to my blog friends for their submissions of posts/reviews on the acting legend.
c. Most Popular Piece.
I think my Musings on Movie Crushes post is popular because ALL of us surely have one, so it’s fun to see people sharing which actor/actress have captured their hearts. Do share yours if you haven’t already, there’s no such thing as a late comment
It’s not exactly ‘controversial’ in the sense that it gets people up in arms, but I think my post of What Critical Darling You Can’t Sing Praises Of sort of went against the grain as a lot of people love The Hurt Locker, but I thought it was just ok, certainly wasn’t Oscar-worthy. To this day I still don’t know what the fuss is about Jeremy Renner. Now that might push a lot of people’s buttons, too
e. Most Surprisingly Successful Piece.
This is an honest list that my pal Ted and I did relatively quickly last January. Well, it turns out a lot of people agreed with us
f. Most Underrated Piece.
For this one I’m going to pick one I did a couple of years ago since not many people read my blog then, but I’m hoping to do a follow up to this as most of the then up-and-coming actors have sort of ‘made it’ in Hollywood now.
g. Most Pride-Worthy Piece.
Well, since last year I went with my first movie pitch for Castor’s Anomalous Material blog, I’m going with the last movie pitch I did. It took me quite a while to do but I’m pretty happy with it. It’s an Irish crime drama directed by Kenneth Branagh starring Gabriel Byrne, Tom Hiddleston and Richard Armitage.
3. Pass this award on to seven other bloggers.
Ok, I’m going to tag the five lovely ladies who kindly gave me the Liebster award, and not only because I’m returning the favor, I mean these are seriously kick-ass bloggers. Girl power! And to be fair, I’m tagging two other bloggers of the opposite sex, he..he..
- Sati @ Cinematic Corner
- Diana @ Aziza’s Picks
- Anna & Defiant Success
- Ruth @ Splendid & Lovely
- Iba @ I Luv Cinema
- Terrence @ The Focused Filmographer
- Nick @ Cinema Romantico
The rules for this award are as follows:
- Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
- Answer the 11 questions the person giving the award has set for you.
- Create 11 questions for the people you will be giving the award to
- Choose 11 people to award and send them a link to your post.
- Go to their page and tell them
- No tag backs.
Hmmm, this is the hardest part…
11 things about myself:
- Though my dad was in the film biz before I was born, I had only seen bits and pieces of one of his films, which co-incidentally is about an Indonesian Superman, ahah.
- I took piano lessons as a kid, maybe for about 3 years or so, but unlike Ruth from Down Under, I don’t know how to play it anymore
- For as long as I can remember, I’ve always wanted to be a screenwriter. In fact, in grade school when all the other kids wanted to be a doctor, lawyer, fireman, etc., I was convinced that was what I wanted to do. Alas… who knows if my dream would ever come true.
- I went to the same umbrella school that President Obama once attended when he briefly lived in Indonesia: St. Francis of Assisi. I only attended the Jr High part of the school, but it shared the same complex.
- I have a Javanese-dialect accent [the island where the word Java for coffee comes from] when I speak Indonesian, I might’ve gotten that from my nanny growing up. I don’t speak the language fluently though, but my mother did.
- My grandma was pretty strict growing up so I never could go clubbing until dawn like my friends did, yet I never had the desire to do it even as an adult. In fact, the few times I did go in college, I did not enjoy it at all.
- I grew up Catholic but now I attend a non-denominational Evangelical church in my neighborhood that has the most awesome Worship Band ever. I believe this Bible verse with all my heart and soul: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. – John 3:16
- I might’ve shared this before but I don’t like chocolate, seafood or alcoholic beverage. I know those are a lot of people’s favorite things but I could do without those my entire life.
- I LOVE Zumba!! I’ve been taking the Latin-inspired cardio dance classes for about a year now and I’m addicted. I go three times a week, though now I’m also taking a cardio kick-boxing class just to mix things up.
- My love for British actors/movies might’ve stemmed from taking ESL classes from ‘native speakers’ from Britain. For some odd reasons, they only accepted Aussies and Brits in most of those schools, not Americans. I became friends with a few of them and I’ve always thought they were the coolest guys!
- I have a very high prescription that I’m practically blind. I guess it’s hereditary as most of my family members wear glasses.
1. What is your favorite movie scene?
Oh, there are sooo many! I picked twenty of them here and here, and I plan to do another post this year. Since I just did the Sense & Sensibility post though, I’d say the moment Brandon showed up in the movie all smitten for Marianne is one of my all time favorite scenes.
2. Your favorite performance?
Again, too many to list here but I’m going to go with the performance I saw in the last few months and that is Christian Bale as the Dark Knight. I think he shall remain to be my favorite Batman actor, just like Christopher Reeve will always be my favorite Superman.
3. Movie character that is most similar to you?
Hmm, this is a toughie. I really don’t know, but I tend to be kind of a dreamer and a bit of a loner, so I feel that there are some traits in Paul Dano’s character in Ruby Sparks that I identify with.
4. Favorite movie quote?
Again, since I just watched this recently, I really love this quote in Sense & Sensibility that explains why I LOVE Elinor so much:
5. What is one movie where you would change actual director/actor/actress for someone else?
Well, I think I’d definitely cast someone other than Kristen Stewart in Snow White in the Huntsman, it’s automatically raise the level of enjoyment right of the bat. It’d be a lot better if a more capable director helmed it too.
6. What is the first film you saw?
Superman: The Movie. Which explains why I LOVE superhero movies to this day
7. Would you change any character’s fate? If so, whose and for what?
I wish Christian + Satine in Moulin Rouge and Joe Bradley + Anne in Roman Holiday lived happily ever after. But then again, the film probably wouldn’t be as compelling otherwise.
8. Your favorite track from movie soundtrack?
City of Lovers from Casino Royale.
9. What book would you like to see adapted for screen?
Amongst other books I’ve discussed here, I’d love to see Love Walked In as a romantic drama, which I think is in the works. I wholeheartedly hope they cast the right person for the protagonist though… and that Cary Grant look-alike!
10. Favorite guilty pleasure movie?
I’ve mentioned five of ‘em here, but I should mention a classic guilty pleasure. That’d be Duel in the Sun. I mean Gregory Peck as a sexy scoundrel? Yes please!!
11. Favorite trailer?
This turns out to be the case of good trailer, not-so-good movie, but I really enjoy the trailer for the NINE musical with Daniel Day-Lewis. The Cloud Atlas trailer that’s recently released is gorgeous as well.
1. What’s the song that you keep listening these days (the repeat curse)?
1. What is the first film you remember watching?
1. Any actors you show promise for?
1. LOTR or Harry Potter?
Now the easy part… the nominations!
Well I guess not too easy as everyone seems to have been tagged for this award, but ah well, so they just have to answer more questions like I did, ahah.
- Josh @ Classicblanca
- Kristen @ Journeys in Classic Film
- Paula @ Paula’s Cinema Club
- Kristin @ All Eyes on Screen
- Samantha @ Banana Oil Movies
- Ronan @ Filmplicity
- Fernando @ Fernando Rafael Blog
- Mark @ Marked Movies
- Keith @ Keith and the Movies
- Alex @ Film Forager
- Raul @ The Movie Lounge
My 11 Questions:
- Who’s your favorite movie actor who’s currently starring in a TV show?
- Could you date someone who does not love movies?
- What makes you want to have a movie blog?
- Which director/actor collaboration you’d like to see [it has to be people who have never worked together before]
- What dish are you good at making?
- Any encounter with a celebrity you care to share?
- Since the Olympics is still going on, what’s your favorite movie set in London?
- Which is your favorite movie writer [could be a journalist, novelist, etc.]
- Which do you prefer: sweltering heat vs. cool, rainy days?
- Favorite outfit/costume from a movie?
- Which actor/actress you initially detest but then slowly warming up to [feel free to reverse the question, that is an actor you initially love but now can't stand]
Sorry for the super long post! Thanks for reading guys, now you know a little [or a lot] more about yours truly