Welcome to FlixChatter’s one and only blog series! As is customary for this monthly feature, I get to post five random news item/observation/poster, etc. and then turn it over to you to share your take on that given topic. You can see the previous five-for-the-fifth posts here.
1. April Fools was just four days ago, man it seems like it was ages ago for some reason. Some of you caught the prank I pulled that day, and surely the interweb was full of fake news. One of them I read was this article listing three fake news stories we wish were real. One of those fake headlines says that M. Night Shyamalan’s Unbreakable 2 Confirmed for 2015.
Per the article, ‘the studio indicated that the sequel will be set well after the events of the original film, and will follow Willis’ character as he learns more about his powers and the responsibility that comes with them.’ Oh man, if only that were true!! I’ve long been awaiting to see Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson reprise their roles, Unbreakable is my favorite M. Night’s film and one I’d wish to see a follow-up on. It’s been 14 years since its release and I still think it’d be worth revisiting the first truly *dark* superhero film.
Did you read any April Fools fake news you wish were real?
2. Switching gear to a superhero follow-up that’s been breaking box office record [pardon the pun]. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is poised to be the biggest movie of 2014 so far. According to Box Office Mojo, the Friday take of $37 mil would likely wind up to about $110 -$120 mil final weekend tally. I’m glad it’s doing well as I’ve said in my review it’s my favorite Marvel stand-alone movie yet, though I still have a special fondness for the first film.
Surely everyone’s going to have a different opinion on this. So, just for the heck of it, how about we rank 10 Marvel Studios movies from 2000, but only those involving character that appear in The Avengers. That means we’re NOT counting the X-Men movies, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc. Here they are alphabetically:
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- The Incredible Hulk
- Iron Man
- Iron Man 2
- Iron Man 3
- Thor: The Dark World
- The Avengers
So how would you rank these 10 Marvel movies?
3. Right now I’ll be watching a bunch of indie films at MSPIFF 2014. One of them I sadly have to miss because of a scheduling conflict is Tom Hardy‘s LOCKE.
A successful construction manager’s life is drastically changed by a series of phone calls while he drives.
Now this film that puts one actor in a confined location, more of a one-man-show for the entire film if we’re to judge from the trailer that I posted here. We’re only seeing Hardy as Ivan Locke as he takes a series of phone calls as he’s driving in a car, but boy is it gripping! I really think that the casting is what make or break this types of films, as that actor would have to be charismatic enough to hold our attention whilst seemingly not much is happening. As I’m a big fan of Hardy, naturally I’m intrigued.
My question is two fold: What do you think of Locke? And which actor would you like to watch in a similar confined setting like this one?
4. Any casting news involving Chiwetel Ejiofor always makes me smile as I’ve been championing him for some time. Last time he was rumored in Star Wars also made a Five for the Fifth subject, if only that were true! Now as a massive Bond fan, of course this casting news piqued my interest!
Seems that lately, or at least since Sam Mendes was on board, the new plan seems to be only to hire Oscar winners/nominees as Bond villain, ahah. In Skyfall we’ve got Oscar winner Javier Bardem, and now, Ejiofor is reportedly the top choice for Bond 24 which is currently in production. I’m definitely stoked if he were cast, though my initial thought was that fellow Black Brit Idris Elba would also make a great choice, given he’s got that devilish charm about him. I’ve never seen Ejiofor’s sinister side on screen before but I’m sure the massively talented actor is more than up for the task! With Ralph Fiennes and Naomi Harris returning, boy this is going to be one heck of a Bond cast. This might be the case where I’d love the villain more than the hero, ahah.
Thoughts on this casting rumor? Who would YOU like to see cast as Bond villain?
5. What a perfect segue to the last topic as we’ve got a former Bond villain in this one. I just backed this Kickstarter project ENEMY OF MAN, starring Sean Bean, Rupert Grint, James D’Arcy, Jason Flemyng and Charles Dance.
Enemy of Man is an ambitious feature length retelling of William Shakespeare’s greatest tragedy, Macbeth.
This will be the feature directorial debut of actor Vincent Regan. I really like him in TROY and 300, I thought he gave one of the best performances in 300, as well as the most heart-wrenching. Regan is no stranger to Shakespeare, he’s a veteran of the Royal Shakespeare and National theaters. Sean Bean apparently played Macbeth on London West End and this gave him a chance to revisit the character for a larger audience.
All money raised from this campaign will go towards taking the film into pre-production. You can read the details on the Kickstarter link above as well as a preview to the teaser trailer. Below is Sean Bean talking about his involvement in this project:
This looks pretty promising and the talented British actors involved are quite underrated. I hope they’ll meet their goal and get this film made! As of right now, there is only 15 hours left and they still need about $33K to meet their goal.
Whether or not you choose to back it, what do you think of this project and the cast involved?
Well, that’s it for the APRIL 2014 edition of Five for the Fifth, folks.
Now, please pick a question out of the five above or better yet, do ‘em all! 😀
56 thoughts on “Five for the Fifth: APRIL 2014 Edition”
Hey Ruth. I always look forward to the 5th! I can’t answer all the questions now but I will be back. But I did have to say that I am sad you have to miss Locke. I am quite interested and wanted to read your thoughts. I saw an “indie” film this week (working on the review) and I love when more of them get attention. I’ll be back, my friend. Have a great evening.
Hey T, glad to see u, first commenter too woot woot 😃 Yeah it conflicts with Transcendence but y’know what i might still go to Locke n ask Ted to go to Transendence instead. Looking fwd to ur answers, esp on ranking Marvel movies!
1. Not really. Just some minor jokes about NIN performing a song that was disliked by a lot of fans which wasn’t true and the other involved a lavish reissue of the Smashing Pumpkins’ Adore album.
2. 1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Iron Man 3
6. Thor 2
8. Iron Man 2
9. The Incredible Hulk
I haven’t seen the new Captain America but I will in the coming weeks.
3. I haven’t seen the trailer though I am interested in the film. I think the idea of that is sort of done to death as it reminds me of another action movie starring Liam Neeson.
4. I had hoped that Chiwetel Ejiofor was going to be the next Bond, well he or Idris Elba. Still, having him as the villain would be fucking awesome.
5. I don’t know. I’m very skeptical about it as I need to read the script or an excerpt of it to really consider it.
I’m very curious to see how Winter Soldier will rank in ur top 10.
I love Hardy n i think he’s charismatic enough to hold his own. What was the Liam Neeson film?
Yeah wouldnt it be nice to see Elba as Bond n Ejiofor as the villain? A girl can dream!
I don’t know. Taken 4, Liam Neeson in an airplane. He does so many films.
1. Not really, but someone did fool me. Someone reported Lee Child saying he was going to end the Jack Reacher series of novels. Something the author has said where he’d kill off the hero. Oh, you should have read the lament this one caused.
That said, UNBREAKABLE is the one film (or series of film) M. Night should have made. Maybe he wouldn’t have driven his career down the tube. I love to see this.
2. Oh, Ruth! If I’m limited to just these (and I’d have X2: X Men United, Spider-Man 2, Blade 2 high up there, if I as able), here is my order:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 3
3. I’m interested in Locke, though I hadn’t much about it till this post.
4. Given his wonderfully heinous Operative in ‘Serenity’, Ejiofor would make an outstanding Bond villain, I think.
5. I’d be intrigued at another version of Macbeth.
Thanks, Ruth 🙂
Oh my that is a crazy fake news about Jack Reacher, I’m sure the fans would’ve gone bonkers. Yeah M Night should’ve done Unbreakable 2 instead of The Happening!
So The Winter Soldier is #1 then? Well if so then we’re in agreement 😀 Not sure if you saw my review but I absolutely loved it and still do the 2nd tie around.
I’ve decided to go see Locke instead of Transcendence screening, I just love Tom Hardy!
Oh I forgot he was the baddie in Serenity so yeah, go Chiwetel! I think his Brit buddies call him Chewie 😉
I hope Macbeth comes to the big screen soon 😀
1. Would love to see a follow up to Unbreakable back when M. Night was a credible director, now though I refuse to acknowledge that he’s even a filmmaker. Also, Mr. Willis’ career has been going down hill too, so I definitely don’t care to see either of them coming back to do the movie together. As for April’s Fool joke, I was duped by Indeed.com. On their app, they had this section where they tell the users to lick their smartphone and they can tell which career is perfect for them. It’s a cool joke but I felt dumb after I found out it’s a joke.
2. Here are my favorite Marvel’s flicks in order: 1.Capt. Winter Soldier 2.Iron Man 3.The Avengers 4.Thor 5.Iron Man 3. The rest are all on the same level to me but I would rank The Incredible Hulk last.
3. I hope to be able to make it to Locke’s screening, the sale on my house closes in two weeks so I’ve been busy packing and looking for a new place to live.
4. As I said many times, the James Bond franchise never had a true great villain so hopefully with Ejiofor’s involvement, he can become the Joker to James Bond.
5. McBeth was the only play that I “understood” so I’m intrigued. I still want to see the film version that came out in the 70s again, it’s been ages since the last time I saw it.
Ahah well I still have hopes for M. Night but maybe more as a screenwriter and have someone else (better) to direct it. As for Willis I don’t care for him much in his action stuff but I like him in this role in Unbreakable.
Yay, nice to see Winter Soldier as #1, I do like Iron Man 1 a lot so that might be in my top 3.
Well looks like you’ll be seeing Transcendence instead 🙂 I just can’t give up Tom Hardy, and I have a feeling Transcendence might just be so-so.
Yes let’s hope that happens w/ Chiwetel, he certainly has the dramatic chops!
Ahah well I actually never seen Macbeth play before but I’m intrigued w/ this one because of the cast. I hope it’ll happen!
I actually think M. Night’s problem is his screenwriting, he has good ideas but he can’t seem to put the whole story together. He’s a good director, he just needs to hire a couple of writers to fix his scripts. The Village was a good concept but the way the actual movie turned out was atrocious. But the movie looked great and I liked M. Night’s direction. Ever since TIME magazine put him on their cover and called him the next Spielberg back in early 2000s, his ego has ballooned up so large that he refuse to listen to anyone about problems with his scripts. The top executives at Disney asked him to fix the script for Lady in the Water and he got so offended that he decided to leave the studio.
I don’t really have any expectations for Transcendence, when a cinematographer becomes a director, it’s either a hit or miss. Hopefully Pfister can put together a good movie since he knows how to make it look really good visually.
Hmm interesting, I do agree that M. Night has some interesting concepts but that is his own fault that he let his ego got the best of him. Even the best screenwriters should still be up for collaboration. I hope he learns his lesson now, I still think he might have a come back one day, he’s still pretty young.
I sure hope Transcendence is a good one, Ted! Would you review that for me? Thanks!
Hey Ruth, just want to say I love this feature! It really makes me think and helps me keep up with what’s happening. Always look forward to it.
Hey thanks Mikey! But I was hoping you’d at least answer one of the questions 😀
I didn’t hear the April Fool’s joke on Unbreakable 2. That would have been cool! At least the news on The Increadibles 2 and Goonies 2 are real! They can still go bad, but I’ll take a sequel over a remake/reboot any day.
As for the 10 Marvel films you’ve listed, here’s my rank:
1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
2. Iron Man
3. The Avengers
5. The Incredible Hulk
6. Iron Man 3
7. Iron Man 2
8. Thor 2: The Dark World
10. Captain America
Hi Asrap! Oh Incredibles 2 is happening? That IS cool. I’m not too enthused about the Goonies one tho.
I love that people ranking Winter Soldier as #1, that makes me so happy. High five!!
1. Never really care with April’s fool. You know well it’s not a tradition here 😉 So i don’t read any April fool’s news
2. hahaha I’ll skip this one…not a fan of superheroes anymore.
3. I would LOVE to see Cillian in a one man movie. He had received best actor for his one man theater show in Misterman…that one man show is certainly much more difficult than a one man movie where there is still the word ‘CUT’ when the actor did something wrong. Cillian did Misterman for months and got immensely good review.
4 and 5 … I will take another pass 🙂
Ahah well so you didn’t see my April Fools prank then, I was actually wondering whether you’d fall for it or not 😉
I thought Cillian had been in a one-man show before. I already know that’d be your answer Nov, you have a one-track mind when it comes to actors, ahah.
Would love the idea of an Unbreakable sequel but one of the best things about the first movie was that it was a superhero film disguised as a supernatural drama. Might kill it slightly if they tried anything different.
Hi there Ben, welcome to FC! Oh yeah that’s the reason why the Unbreakable story worked, I sure hope if they were to revisit the film it’d keep the same genre and style.
Haven’t seen the second Captain America yet but have high hopes for it…
Therefore, here’s my top 9:
8. The Incredible Hulk
7. Thor: The Dark World
5. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. The Avengers
3. Iron Man 2
2. Iron Man
1. Iron Man 3
You have every reason to have high hopes for it Dan, I know I did and I was still impressed.
Interesting to see Iron Man 3 as your #1, that might not even make my top 5.
Very dense and deep ‘Five for the Fifth’!
Topic #1: Thinks must be rough for M. Night to fall back up his more popular roots. And Wilis works well with any and everybody.
Topic#2: Marvel Films:
Haven’t seen ‘Winter Soldier’. So:
#9: Ang Lee’s Hulk. A good idea presented in Stan Lee comic framing before major action sequences. Muddled by too much back story with Banner’s dad.
#8:The incredible Hulk. A nice effort that fell short with Edward Norton and a too psycho for his own good nemesis.
#7:Thor: Good exposition of a major tier hero.
#6: Thor: The Dark World. Better. But still not getting it right.
#5:Iron Man 3: The Mandarin is supposed to be much more badass. And should fight Iron Man. Not tony Stark.
#4: Iron Man 2: Cool toys. Kind of lame bad guys. Legitimate and illegitimate.
#3: Iron Man: Jon Favreau understands and delivers homage and action with sly humor. Jeff Bridges makes a superb bad guy!!!
#2: Captain America: The First Avenger. Believable origin. Decent execution. Didn’t get everything right, but most things right!
#1: The Avengers: Whedon gets Marvel. The Avengers and teamwork! Excellent use of all members. Most notably, the Hulk. Loki and Hiddleston prove themselves as worthy opponents.
Topic #3: Tom Hardy is getting lots of exposure. Though the concept of ‘Locke’ can be traced back to Spielberg’s ‘Duel’ with Dennis Weaver. Sounds interesting, Though his working with James Gandalfini in ‘The Drop’ sounds more intriguing.
Topic#4: Chiwetel Ejiofor played an excellent nemesis in ‘Serenity’. Have no doubt that he or Idris Elba would make SPECTRE proud. Would love to see Benedict Cumberbatch play a heavy opposite Bond!
Oh, and look for Martin Freeman (Dr. John Watson of ‘Sherlock’) in FX’s upcoming ‘Fargo’!
Topic#5: It’s wonderful to see Mr. Bean catch the Midievel and Shakespeare bugs! Nice sounding cast. Curious to see what Rupert Grint has been up to.
All right Kevin!! Glad to see you give a reasoning for each Marvel movie ranking. I’m curious if The Winter Soldier would make your #1 after you saw it. For me, Avengers would be #2 I think.
Hardy is very busy these days and his projects all sounds interesting. I’m most curious to see him as he’s the only one on screen for most of the film.
Oh man, I’d LOVE LOVE to see Benedict take a crack as a Bond villain. He’d be great as someone like Drax who’s a super wealthy, sophisticated sociopath, ahah. Yeah I’m looking forward to seeing Freeman sporting Minnesota accent, ahah.
Yeah, I love Sean Bean, even if he’ll probably perish again in this film, ahah. Rupert Grint looks bad ass in the teaser trailer!
1. Well, there was one ,that Martin got two writers to help him finish the books. The man is completely incompetent and unreliable so I wish it was true
2. I liked Avengers and Thor movies the most, with first Captain America and Ang Lee’s Hulk being just terrible. Some of the most boring films I’ve seen in my life. Especially Hulk.
3. I’m not a big Hardy fan, that movie with him and Noomi Rapace and a bunch of dogs looks like something more up my alley 🙂 Any of my favorites could play a part like that since they are all charismatic ^^
4. As tired as i am of an actor who breaks big during award season and going to Bond franchise next, he would be a very cool villain
5. I saw pics from this few days back and laughed so hard since Bean and Dance are the members of rivaling houses in Thrones. Shame they didn’t get Stephen Dillane in there – I’d pay for that 😛
Hi Sati! Ahah, you’re talking about GoT author right? Yeah I think he ticked off a lot of fans w/ his writing, he’s nuts that he kills off major characters seemingly on a whim.
Yeah, Ang Lee’s Hulk is way too dull for a superhero flick, too philosophical that it didn’t work. I do love Eric Bana as Bruce Banner tho. I love the first Thor film so that might make my top 5.
Hmmm I haven’t even heard that movie of Hardy w/ a bunch of dogs?? Hey, I’d think Hiddles and McConaughey could do a one man show and people would flock to see it.
You’re so right about the transition from award darlings to Bond franchise. Seems that a lot of the time, they’d transition to some kind of villain-y roles in a big-budget franchise.
Oooh I didn’t know that about Bean and Dance, well I suppose they should get as many GoT veterans since many have been killed off anyway. Would be nice to Richard Madden in it as well 😉
Hi Ruth! I liked Unbreakable and cross my fingers for a second go around with Jackson and Willis. Heaven knows M.Night needs a hit after a string of losses. How about for a bad guy for Bond, Edward Norton? He’s overdue for a heavy, complicated role. Macbeth is long overdue for a modern twist and Sean Bean would deliver. I’d buy a ticket to see Enemy of Man! Nice post as always. 🙂
Right on Cindy. I really think M. Night should get on this as lots of people like Unbreakable and both leads are still quite well-known today. Oh I’d love to see Norton as Bond villain tho I’d also like to see him back on top form with him as the leading man.
I can’t wait to get my hands on the 8-minute pre-production Enemy of Man teaser, I will be getting that as part of the Kickstarter gift 😀
1. I typically don’t read any news sites on April 1st for that very reason. But man, Unbreakable 2? Yes please, lol!
2. I don’t count the first Hulk, seeing as that one’s its own movie completely removed and unrelated to the Avengers line-up and The Incredible Hulk. But as for the rest of them, as I posted on my own blog, they’d be ranked as such, from best to worst:
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Incredible Hulk
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Iron Man 2
Also, I noticed you didn’t give us your own ranking. What’s up with that? 😛
I didn’t read that news until April 2 but yeah that’s wise to avoid news site on that day, LOL. Glad you love Unbreakable too Chris!
I hear ya about Ang Lee’s Hulk being separate from the lost so you can just rank the 9 movies then. He..he.. well, I wasn’t sure how to rank man yet, but for sure Winter Soldier will be a heck of a lot higher than in your list as it’s #1 😀
1. Don’t know about Unbreakabale 2 since I haven’t seen the first one but the only April Fools’ fake news story that I read and wish was true was one about more Mickey-shaped food at Disneyland! hahaha
2. Iron Man 3, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Thor: The Dark World, The Avengers, Thor (haven’t seen Hulk, The Incredible Hulk or Iron Man 2)
3. Really intrigued about Locke, and besides Hardy, I’d like to see Tom Hiddleston or Andrew Garfield in a Locke-type situation. I remembr Colin Farrell being great in Phone Booth.
4. Ooh, I LOVE the idea of Chiwetel as Bond villain. Bring it on!
Hi Fernando! You should check out Unbreakable, it’s truly THE best M. Night’s film for me and it’s a great twist of a superhero story.
Mickey-shaped food at Disneyland?? I thought they’d have that by now, ahah.
I love that you have two of Captain America movies in your top five!
Oh I’d love to see Hiddles and Garfield in such a role, too, both are so charismatic. Chiwetel is so awesome, great he’s getting prominent roles now.
My favorite so far is The Village, but Unbreakabale sounds intriguing. I wonder if it’d take the top spot…
Well, they have only Mickey-shaped lollipops and ice cream bars, but that news story said there’d be a whole new menu. Bummer 😦
What can I say? I’m a fan of Cap.
Yes, big fan of those men!
Chiwetel for Bond villain? Oh my god, YES! That would be freaking AWESOME!
Of course I’ll do the Marvel top list. I haven’t seen half of them, but who cares, opinions are grreat! 😀 I’ve never seen the Hulk ones or Captain Americas, but…
1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man 3
4. Iron Man
5. Thor: The Dark World
6. Iron Man 2
YAYYY! Looking forward to May 5th! Or maybe not, because the months of this year has gone by way too fast anyway. 😀
Hi Elina!! Love your enthusiasm, girl. Yes Chiwetel would ROCK the role, I hope he’d say yes to that.
Awww, you should see Captain America movies, the first one and the sequel are both great IMO, I think that’s a must if you’re a fan of superhero movies 😀
Done posted it!
Great questions this month Ruth. Obviously as someone with a soft spot for comics the Marvel question intrigued me. Let me give you my rankings (worst to first):
10. “Hulk” (Absolutely detest this mess of a movie)
9. “Iron Man 3” (I know many love it. I found it to be a big disappointment)
8. “The Incredible Hulk” (I liked it even though it fell apart at the end)
7. “Thor: The Dark World” (Fun movie, not as good as the first)
6. “Iron Man 2” (Really good movie and underrated by some)
5. “Thor” (I was amazed at how well it turned out)
4. “Captain America: The First Avenger” (Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic)
3. “Iron Man” (They got it all right in this one. So much fun.)
2. “The Avengers” (What an entertaining ride. Amazing accomplishment)
1. “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” (I love it)
I’m also very interested in seeing Hardy in “Locke” and the thought of Ejiofor as a Bond villain opposite Daniel Craig = WINNER!!!!!!!!
I also really like Sean Bean. Talk about an underrated actor. WOuld love to see that project get the green light!
I”m thrilled to see you put Winter Soldier as #1! Me too! I might put The First Avenger ahead of Iron Man actually, I just love the character Steve Rogers a lot more.
Glad to see you love Hardy and Ejiofor, now if only the two would star in a movie together!!
Yeah Sean Bean is massively underrated isn’t he? Glad to see him in the leading role here. The project IS happening as they met the Kickstarter goal! 😀
Awesome! Goal met, movie on the way! Fabulous!
Yeah I backed it and so I’ll be getting an exclusive 8-minute teaser sometime in August 😀 I really like the all-British cast!
That’s great. Again Bean is so good and he deserves more roles than he is given. Anxious to keep my ears open about this one.
Ranking Marvel’s flicks (bearing in mind I still haven’t seen Winter Soldier – I wasn’t up for it last night – Hulk or The Incredible Hulk):
1. The Avengers
2. Captain America
3. Iron Man
After that I think they’re all pretty similar in quality, but I suppose:
4. Iron Man 2
5. Thor: The Dark World
6. Iron Man 3
That Ejiofer casting sounds great to me, as well. But then anything with him in it will get my approval. He’s a beautiful man. And I too wish I could see Locke, but 7:30 on a Wednesday won’t work for me either. Boo that.
Oh and you totally didn’t catch your prank. Boo you!
Hi Josh, sorry for the tardy reply. Nice to see Captain America high on your list!! I actually like the first Thor movie more than the sequel, but yeah they’re not as good as the Cap America movies IMO.
Ejiofor is indeed a beautiful man. He and Idris both. I’ll let you know what I think of LOCKE. I decided to give up Transcendence screening in favor of seeing that one.
Ahah you didn’t see my April Fools prank eh? Well boo YOU 😉
Well. I saw it. I just didn’t realize it was prank. You totally fooled me. 🙂
“Unbreakable is my favorite M. Night film” Same here, really don’t like his other films, short one or two others.
You didn’t like his masterpiece The Happening Tim?? 😉 Fair enough, I quite like Sixth Sense and Signs but Unbreakable is my fave and great for repeat viewings too.
Oh dear lord not the Happening. Such awfulness 😦
I still haven’t seen Captain America, probably will be checking it out this Sunday. Also have not seen the Hulk movies and the first two Iron Man’s are a bit fuzzy, but under pressure I would rank them like this: Thor 2, Thor 1, The Avengers, Captain America 1, Iron Man 3, Iron Man 1, and Iron Man 2. Iron Man suffers a lot because I haven’t seen them since they came out. Plus all these movies sort of blend together for me anyway, but Thor’s my favorite avenger so he comes out on top generally.
Locke looks really cool! I think Hardy’s got what it takes to pull off a one man show like that, for sure. Other actors who could do something similar? I think it would be interesting to see Michael Fassbender or Tom Hiddleston, but I would be interested to see them in about anything. On the female side probably Rooney Mara or Jessica Chastain.
There is just about nothing anyone could do to get me to not see Bond 24 at this point, but having Ejiofor as the villain is definitely interesting! It’s been a while since I’ve seen it but unless I miss my guess he was the villain in Serenity so he can definitely pull it off.
Hi Hunter! Sorry for the tardy reply. So did you see Cap. America yet? Curious to hear what you think on that one. It’s currently my fave Marvel movie 😀
The Brits usually can do one-man show effortlessly don’t they? I’d throw in Benedict Cumberbatch as well. I’m not a fan of Rooney Mara but I do like Chastain!
Not a Bond fan eh? Well good then if Ejiofor might make you watch it, I hope that happens!!
Great stuff Ruth and good for you for backing Enemy of Man; looks interesting. As for Marvel, my top 3 would be Captain America 2 at Number 1, The Avengers at Number 2 and Iron Man at Number 3.
Right on, nice to see The Winter Soldier makes your #1 too, wahoo! 😀
1) All I have to say is I’m glad April Fool’s is long gone. I don’t even remember any of the gags this year — I did my best to just avoid everything online that day. 🙂
2) I have only seen half of those, but I would put the first Iron Man and The Avengers as the best. I really didn’t like the first Captain America, and the Iron Man sequels were decent but not great.
3) I’ll watch anything with Tom Hardy. Locke sounds like a really interesting film.
4) I have a feeling Ejiofor would make a great villain. I hope this happens.
5) That’s quite the cast, though I’m surprised they need a Kickstarter campaign to finance it. Love the Game of Thrones connection, too, with both Bean and Dance being involved.
Fun set of questions as always, Ruth!
Hi Eric! Ahah I actually don’t read many news post that day, but I couldn’t help doing a little prank on my blog 😉
Hope you’ll check out The Winter Soldier soon, curious to see how that’d rank amongst other Marvel stuff you’ve seen.
Glad you’re a fan of Hardy too, I can’t wait to see it on Wednesday.
Yeah I hope Ejiofor will take the offer, he’s a great actor.
I think since it’s a personal project by the actor Vincent Regan in his directorial debut, he might not have the backing of a studio to do this. It seems a rather small amount of money that they asked for though, less than a million bucks.
Hey Hey Ruth!
1 – I didn’t see much April Fools stuff to be honest but I would have loved the Unbreakable 2 one to be true! Oh I did hear one about some blogger pretending to devote their site to Ryan Gosling for a month. Crazy stuff! 😉
2 – I really enjoy the Marvel films, but I think The Avengers is my number 1. I do wonder why they haven’t thought of making another Hulk film with Ruffalo though, I think there’d be much more interest in it now as the other two weren’t that great.
3 – I wasn’t really that aware of Locke but I’d definitely check that out, sounds really interesting. I’d like to see Fassbender in a similarly confined situation. He’s so good at the subtle things that I think he could nail something like that.
4 – I can definitely see Ejiofor being a Bond villain. He does actually look a little like the villain from Live and Let Die!
5 – I thought that was a Game of Thrones poster to start with! This could be pretty interesting, but it could struggle if it’s too similar to GoT in style.
Always fun doing these Ruth! 🙂
Hi Chris! I heard you’re having shoulder surgery? OUCH!! Hope you’re feeling better soon man.
Hey, glad you’re a fan of Unbreakable too! Mwahahaha, what a nutty blogger 😉
Avengers is really tough to beat eh? But The Winter Soldier somehow managed to do that for me tho.
I’m surprised u haven’t heard of LOCKE, I thought it was a British production? But yeah, Fassbender would be great in that same set-up too IMO.
Yeah some people mentioned that Ejiofor looked like Kananga in Live and Let Die but I think Ejiofor is even more sophisticated.
Yeah the comparison to GoT seems inevitable w/ that cast, eh?
1- The April Fools news I heard non related to movies would be the one from Blood Sweat & Cheers about a Mario-themed obstacle course. That sounds so awesome!
2-I haven’t seen the two Hulk but my top 8 would look something like this: Winter Soldier, Ironman, Thor Dark World, The Avengers, First Avenger, Ironman 3, Thor, Ironman 2.
3- Locke looks really good. I love these confined setting movies. Not exactly sure who I’d like to see doing that though.
1. I can’t think of any fake news I wish were real, but I’m sure there’s a story out there that I want to be true.
2. Here you go:
1. Captain America: The First Avenger
2. Iron Man
3. The Avengers
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. Iron Man 3
9. The Incredible Hulk
10. Iron Man 2
3. I can’t wait to see Locke! I’d go with Adrien Brody or Casey Affleck, both of which need more lead roles.
4. Between Elba and Ejiofor, I think Elba would be a better fit, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Ejiofor as the villain. I’d love to see a less obvious choice for the villain. Maybe someone like Michael Fassbender, Jake Gyllenhaal, Peter Mullan, Viggo Mortensen, Jude Law or Gael Garcia Bernal.
5. Ooh, Enemy of Man looks interesting. It reached its goal, so I can’t wait to see how it turns out.