I’m sure everyone’s seen this trailer by now, several times over perhaps? Well I don’t blame you, I have seen it about seven times already and I have to restrain myself from being overly-excited about this movie. My friend Matthew from The Movie Mash tweeted this earlier today:
Tonight I finally get to see THE AVENGERS, a movie I’ve been dying to see. Sadly, all I can think about is THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.
Ahah, well I replied back saying that only Nolan’s Batman could compete w/ the killer buzz The Avengers‘ been getting. And with a trailer like this, naturally!
So here are just ten things I’m excited about from this trailer:
- Bane’s mumbling voice is gone! He’s a lot more comprehensible here than in the previous stuff I’ve seen. That is massive good news as it’s hard to be menacing when you can’t understand a darn thing he says!
- Selena Kyle a.k.a Catwoman kicking some serious @$$ as Batman’s ally. She seems to be more of a colleague instead of a love interest, which I think makes it even more intriguing. Of course I’m still expecting some flirtatious banters between the two.
- Seeing Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Gotham police officer … The trailer hints that he’d have more screen time in this film, but just who is John Blake and how does he fit into the bigger picture? I can’t wait to find out!
- The vibe is absolutely ominous, dark, and brooding… There’s a lot of emotional stuff going on amongst all of the action that’s going on. Proves that superhero movies aren’t merely bombastic fluff…
- … but yet still knows how to have fun and gives us the fantastic elements we go see a superhero movie for. That last part of Catwoman riding with Batman in what we know is NOT a car promises there are fun to be had with all of those awesome Bat vehicles being put to good use!
- How even more menacing Bane is… I love that Nolan is consistent in giving the hero a worthy foe, in fact it just gets scarier with each film. In this article, Tom Hardy explains the contrast between The Joker and Bane… “The Joker didn’t care. He just wanted to see the world burn, and he was a master of chaos and destruction, unscrupulous and crazy… Bane is not that guy. There is a very meticulous and calculated way about Bane. There is a huge orchestration of organization to his ambition. He is also a physical threat to Batman.” Ouch!
- We’ll see how a hero earns his stripes… that face-off between Batman and Bane looks vicious. Will Batman survive? In the comics Bane breaks Batman’s back but are we going to see some similarities to the ending of X-Men: First Class in regards to Xavier, or will Nolan do something even more drastic? It all remains to be seen but one thing for sure we’ll see the caped crusader’s darkest hour.
- Bruce Wayne’s in love again?? The trailer shows Bruce kissing the magnifique Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate. As fans had been speculating about the presence of Ra’s al Ghul’s daughter Talia seeking revenge on the death of her father, could it be that Tate is the Two-Face in this story?
- The amazing shots shown in this trailer, that aerial shot of the bridge getting blown up and especially the one of Batman on the bridge looking over Gotham with his cape blowing in the wind looks spectacular.
- I love the fact that even with the fairly large amount of footage being shown, this trailer still doesn’t reveal too much about the plot so it’s still delightfully enigmatic. The dialog is kept sparse and the evocative music brilliantly builds up the suspense, ascending along with the the level of high octane action depicting Gotham in utter chaos.
In Nolan We Trust… I expect nothing less than an epic conclusion to the caped crusader saga. Part of my anticipation of seeing The Avengers is seeing this trailer on the big screen. I tell you, July 18 can’t come soon enough!
So those of you anticipating this movie, what do you think of this latest trailer?
33 thoughts on “Ten awesome things about The Dark Knight Rises trailer 3”
I love the trailer, it wasn’t as bombastic like most big summer flick trailers and it didn’t give too much away either. I won’t be reading any early reviews or watch anymore clips of the movie until it hits theater, for sure I’ll be seeing it on the big IMAX screen a few times.
I think Nolan just messed up on Bane’s voice and didn’t want to admit it, so I assume he did some ADR after they wrapped shooting. I’d be very happy to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt putting on a suit and become Nightwing at the end of the movie, I don’t want to see Robin. 🙂
Okay now I’m going to watch the trailer again for the 15th time.
Ahah, 15th time?? Wow, that’s a record I think. Here I thought me watching it 7 times is already way too much 🙂
I’m real curious to see who Gordon-Levitt is playing! There are rumors that he’s kind of like Robin in a way but without the silly costumes, but I read about Nightwing last night, hmmm that could work 😀
Hi, Ruth and company:
Concise, detailed, even review!
I can see Batman being backed up by a tech savvy cop. I think the role could fit Gordon-Levitt like a glove. Especially after his sly take on Arthur in ‘Inception’.
Definitely do not want to see a Robin. Though a Nightwing (originally, Dick Grayson all grown up and moved out) whose turf is Bludhaven could be intriguing.
Not completely sold on the new and improved, upgraded, flying Tumbler/Batmobile, either. Looks a little to close to Deckard’s ride in ‘Blade Runner’.
Jury’s still out on Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. So far, she’s been a one trick pony that Hollywood has been trying to morph into the next Meryl Streep.
Securing my Soap Box.
Yes, awesome trailer indeed. Liked how it gave you a bit more info without being spoiler-rific
Yep, trailers like this are getting even more rare these days.
Ditto on #10. Nolan is so good at giving you basically no idea of how the movie unfold even though there is quite a lot of footage to be seen. He really likes to build mood to create anticipation rather than show what the movie will be like like 95% of the trailers out there.
Can’t wait for this movie!!!
This is the one movie where I don’t mind watching the trailers over and over again and not worry about spoilers. I hope he’d release yet another trailer between now and July!
Great stuff Ruth…another brilliant trailer. Very excited about this.
All right Dan!
Yup… it takes great skill to show a lot of footage in a trailer but revealing almost nothing about the story, and STILL have the audience pumped-up!
Indeed Asrap. It’s become a lost art these days as most trailers just aren’t good.
Nice breakdown Ruth. It is looking like it is going to be uber awesome!
You said it, matey. Uber awesome indeed!
With all my excitement about Prometheus I kind of forgot about this movie. I can’t wait.
This actually makes me forgot about Prometheus a bit 🙂
It’s so moody! I love it. But I’m more in love with the recent Prometheus trailer. I can’t think of two more exciting blockbusters going to head to head in one summer! I think you’re right though, this reveals little and that makes it better than that last Pometheus one!
Ahah, yeah I saw that in your post. I think me being more of a superhero fan I naturally love this one more, but I think Prometheus is gonna be great as well. Seriously this is truly the year for fanboys/girls, I mean Avengers, Batman 3, Prometheus AND The Hobbit are out in the same year!!
I was fairly nonplussed by the first two trailers but remained optimistic. This new trailer kicks absolute ass, so now I am decidedly optimistic. Can’t wait.
Yes this definitely is the best of the 3 trailers, let’s hope that translates to the film as well that TDKR will be the BEST Nolan’s Batman movie.
It would be so hard to top TDK…But after this new trailer I really think the Nolans can do it.
Nice article and nice trailer, though I’m not going to see this one in the cinema. Didn’t pick my interest except for the magnificient score.
Prometheus/Dark Knight … Dark Knight/Prometheus … I can’t pick which one I am more excited about. This trailer forced me to google Bane to see what was the what.
As excited as I am to see the Avengers, it holds nothing to my excitement for Dark Knight Rises!
I hear ya gurl. I just LOVE Bale as Batman, and the rest of the cast is just great!
Great post! I completely agree with your ten reasons. So looking forward to TDKR!
High five, Fernando! Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Thank you, Ruth 🙂 I should say Happy Cinco de Mayo to you too, since it’s way bigger of a deal over at the US than here.
I do like the vibe of the trailer, the fact that Selena is much more interestingly depicted and the aerial shots are, indeed, wonderful! I will definitely see this in cinemas!
I love how we’re shown so much in this trailer and yet, still not that much. Very cleverly done.
And yes – lots more JGL! I’m even more excited to find out more about his character. It looks like he’s a fairly pivotal role. Maybe. Who knows! We will come July 😀
Agreed. the one biggest thing I love about the trailers is that we still don’t know what is going on nor what to expect! I loved this trailer and can’t wait for Nolan’s final Batman film to show up!
Pingback: Follow Fridays!: Flixchatter | Fogs' Movie Reviews
Pingback: Checking Out the “Happy-Haps!” (5/18) « The Focused Filmographer
Hi Ruth, this trailer looks fantastic and has me very excited to see the film. I agree with each one of your shrewdly observed reasons and love the little details you’ve mentioned, you are a true Nolan connoisseur Ruth. I think you make an excellent point when you say that superhero movies are much more than just ‘bombastic fluff’ (though we all love a bit of bombastic fluff 🙂 ) and Loki himself, Tom Hiddleston, agrees with you here .
Something a couple of friends have mentioned to me about TDKR is worth remembering I think. Historically, the third film in a trilogy is often not as strong as the first two (I’m thinking of the first series of Spidey films, the third XMen film and third pirates movie), of course there are exceptions ( LOTR: Return of The King) but if anyone can buck this trend it’s Nolan. Thanks for this Ruth.