This is Part 2 of GB Birthday tribute, view Part 1: Top Five Gerard Butler Scenes
Once upon a time (sometime in 2006, actually), in an ordinary office building in the suburban midwest, I came to be a cubicle next-door neighbor with a girl who I thought was in love with someone other than her husband because she had wall-to-wall pictures (and one very special autographed picture) and posters of a tall, dark, hunky man everywhere you turned in her cube. Turns out the affair wasn’t torrid, he was an actor, from a foreign land far, far away (much like she herself) but then again, he was no ordinary actor.
Every guy, including myself, loves watching movies starring the rough, rugged hero that beats the mess out of the enemy, still looks good doing so, and gets the girl (for the most part)! Enter Russell Crowe, Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman, even Harrison Ford, etc. But one guy in particular -Gerard Butler- seems to consistently be a part of that list. For me, it was the movie 300 that really boosted him to that level of “icon” status.
In commemoration of Gerard Butler’s birthday, I and a few other friends decided to have a “Gerard Butler Guys’ Movie Night.” The one thing it required was to decide which movies to watch. Of course 300 is on the top of the list. But I began to look at other films that he has been in and realized just how much I had forgotten he had played in.
- Didn’t know that he was in 007: Tomorrow Never Dies.
(rtm note: In a blink-and-you-miss-it cameo in the opening scene)
- Forgot about his role as Dracula in Dracula 2000.
(rtm note: Atrocious film, but GB does make for a mesmerizing dark prince)
- I’d like to forget Bounty Hunter and Reign of Fire.
- Didn’t realize he could sing until I watched parts of The Phantom of the Opera.
None of those flicks made the list, by the way. But in addition to 300, the other movies that also made the cut for our list were: RocknRolla, How to Train Your Dragon, Law Abiding Citizen, and Gamer.
My personal favorite of his so far still has to be 300 and his role as King Leonidas. And here’s why…
- Butler completely embodied that persona as the capable leader of the Spartan nation and commander-in-chief of the Spartan warriors.
- His character inspired guys worldwide to hit the gym for their 6-pack abs. There are even several videos on the web on how to get abs like Leonidas and his army! haha.
- Plus, what other movie of Butler’s has as many repeated quotes and phrases? (“This is Sparta!” “Tonight we dine in Hell!” “Give them nothing, but take from them everything!” and “Prepare for glory!”) Quote ONE line from the film Dracula 2000? I thought not! haha.
- Recipient of 9 awards and 27 nominations.
- Every guy loves a movie loaded with awesome fight scenes! Blood, war, glory!!
Gerard Butler, if you’re reading this, thank you for some great movies….especially 300! (We forgive you for Bounty Hunter and The Ugly Truth, but, from one guy to another, please stop with the rom-coms already.) I hope you have a great birthday! Here’s to you, sir!
Dezmond @ HOLLYWOOD SPY
Dezmond runs a periodical poll on his massively entertaining and popular blog Hollywood Spy. Back in September, he ran THE BEST BRITISH GENT poll that garnered 2,650 votes! Well, Butler won in a landslide with 1389 votes, which like Dezmond said, is kinda expected.
Dezmond gave me permission to include his quote from his post:
Why do we love him so much – he’s charming, funny, talented, a great guy, often very royal (ATILLA, 300, BEOWULF), sometimes charmingly naughty (THE UGLY TRUTH, THE BOUNTY HUNTER), often dangerous (LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, GAMER, THE REIGN OF FIRE) but usually just smashing dashing (PHANTOM OF THE OPERA). It’s our Gerry Berry 🙂
Sam @ BANANA OIL MOVIES
Check out Sam’s fabulous birthday tribute to Gerry, and she too fell for his funny and charming persona. Her fave GB role is Timeline and if you’ve seen the sci-fi, time-travel-themed movie, you’ll know why he should’ve been the lead instead of pretty boy Paul Walker. Check out the trailer below based on Michael Crichton’s novel:
Thanks everyone for participating in today’s GB tribute!