DC has been the underdog for the last decade or so, whilst Marvel have had much success with Iron Man, X-Men, Spiderman, Hulk, etc. But 2012 could just be their banner year if Batman 3, Superman reboot and possibly The Flash released in the same year! Now, that’d be a major milestone even Marvel would be hard pressed to match, especially given how massive Batman and Superman franchises are.
Here are just some random musings about various news I read in the past week or so:
- There are so many Batman 3 rumors my head is spinning! But the most recent newsmaker is Tom Hardy being cast in a prominent role, reuniting him with Christopher Nolan after Inception (Deadline). They’re not saying what role he plays, but everyone’s been saying he’ll be the main villain, and methinks it’s a definite probability 🙂
The one villain constantly rumored to appear in Batman 3 is Catwoman. Another actor who was also in Inception, Marion Cottilard, was rumored to play the role (see my post from last September). However, if this news is to be believed, allegedly she turned down Warner Bros’ offer due to scheduling conflict. It’s said that WB offered her either as Catwoman or Talia Al Ghul. That’s too bad, I think she’d be perfect for either role, she’s the beauty with brain, with sex appeal to boot. You gotta love fan art, I found this photo on the left from this site.
Anyway, this news made me daydream which other Nolan’s alum would be great to join Batman 3. How about Guy Pearce (Memento), Rebecca Hall (The Prestige), or even David Bowie (The Prestige)? Wouldn’t that be awesome? Well, however the cast is shaping up, I have full confidence Nolan would make the right choices (yes, despite his decision to cast Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes… but at least Maggie Gyllenhaal redeemed that character). Looks like filming would begin next April in New Orleans (Comingsoon.net), hope they’ll have some materials to show by next year’s ComicCon in June!
- Switching gears to Man of Steel reboot. Now that we know Zack Snyder is at the helm, the frenzy will be over who’ll don the red and blue suit. Now, y’all know I have a soft spot for Gerry Butler, whose career skyrocketed because of 300 (just like Snyder himself). But it never entered my mind that he’d make a good Man of Steel! So I was quite startled that this AMC blog article includes him, along with four others, as actors the author could see in the role. (Just a side note, apparently the author was the guy who started TheMovieBlog.com, a blog I used to follow regularly, but he’s now apparently moved on). He’s not the only one as this blog also wish GB were Superman with the photo to prove it 🙂 Nah, as much as I love GB, I don’t think he’d fit as Superman.
- I was quite happy to hear all the noise about General Zod possibly making comeback as the main villain. I LOVE Terrence Stamp’s elegant but sinister portrayal of Zod, and I’m kinda tired of Lex Luthor anyway. Give Supes a nemesis worth fighting for, will ya? But looks like it’s another fans’ wishful thinking as Snyder said at the overseas press conference for Legends of the Guardian that “for now, it’s just a rumor” (per LatinoReview) I did got a kick out of seeing someone suggested Rufus Sewell as General Zod in this ComicBookMovie.com forum. I never realized that they have similar eyes… and if they want to retain a British actor playing the role, then Rufus would be perfect! 😀
- It’s fun speculating on all this casting stuff. But at this point, I’m not as concerned about who’ll don the Superman outfit or who’s likely to fight him… just as long as they have a solid script! So I hope this tittle-tattle that Nolan’s frequent collaborator David Goyer’s script is a mess has no truth to it. I’m not as worried as some people about Snyder helming this project, but a rushed script would spell disaster! I understand there is there is an ‘expiration date’ to the whole franchise (as I’ve mentioned here), but I don’t think risking the quality of the film will do the franchise any favor.
- Ok, last but not least, looks like The Flash casting rumor is now underway. I read over at my buddy Dezmond’s blog Hollywood Spy that Bradley Cooper is considered for the role. I had no idea he was shortlisted for The Green Lantern as well, which went to Ryan Reynolds. Now, I’m not a fan of that comic, so I wish Reynolds got The Flash instead and let Cooper be Green Lantern. Oh well, I suppose The Hangover star is a hot commodity right now but he just doesn’t do anything for me. Besides, I’ve got my own picks for The Flash in this post, though popularity-wise I guess Cooper has the edge 😦
So folks, here’s my question to you: Which of the DC comic superheroes are your favorite? And while you’re at it, throw your own casting or plot idea/wish list or whatever else you want to chime in down below in the comment section.