For housekeeping and usability purposes, I’ve started a 31-Days Movie Meme category on my right sidebar so you have easy access to view the others.
Today’s meme is an easy one but I’m going to keep it short as I don’t feel like wasting too much time thinking about it. There are countless of bad movies, but Ghost Rider stood out even amongst them. It should’ve been re-named Ghastly Rider.
Ok, now why do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways:
- Nic Cage’s horrible haircut (ok now, you might argue that it’s his ‘trademark’ but I still!), not to mention the same, tired expression he’s recycled too many times. I guess when you want to star in every movie you could possibly fit into your schedule, you’re going to be running out of ways to express… well, anything.
- Not only is Cage not scary or even menacing at all as a ‘hell-blazing vigilante,’ he doesn’t seem to be having much fun doing it, which obviously is contagious to people watching him!
- Peter Fonda’s sleepwalking throughout the whole movie. You think Nic Cage was bad? I don’t think Fonda even bothered to make an effort that someone paid him to y’know, act when the director yelled ‘action!’ Don’t even get me started with Eva Mendez, who’s aware (perhaps too aware) of her sole purpose to be the eye candy for the fanboys.
- This atrocity gives ‘a movie based on a comic book’ a bad name. What’s even more shameful is a sequel is reportedly in the works, ugh!
- Preposterous, ludicrous [insert similar adjective here] plot I can’t even begin to list ’em. The idea of a comic book superhero movie is for you to cheer on the hero when he appears on screen, but when the flaming skeleton-headed thing-y shows up with his damned chain whip, you wish he accidentally chokes himself with it. That just might be the saving grace of it all.
I’m not even sure why we had rented the movie, but if you’re lucky enough not having seen it yet, consider yourself warned. Nic, oh Nic, I used to like the guy, and despite what people say, he’s really not a bad actor. But sheesh, even amongst a bunch of his other crap-fest he’s been churning up the last decade, he stoops super low with this one.